thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

How to Build a House: A Novel

How to Build a House: A Novel - Dana Reinhardt How to Build a House was a wonderful read, full of symbolism, life lessons, and happy endings. It honestly, despite some heavy issues, was a feel good book. The main character, Harper, is going through some pretty serious things at home (a divorce, loss of her stepsister/best friend, boy confusion), but after a summer of volunteer work far from home - she learns what a home - and what a house - really mean. One of my favorite parts of this novel was that the story alternated between "home" and "here". I loved reading the "home" parts when the reader got to see what made Harper into the person she currently is and why she is halfway across the country volunteering. I felt like I really got to know Harper in a relatively short time (as the book was only a little over 200 pages long).I really liked the characters in How to Build a House. They were very realistic in their dialogue and interactions - Reinhardt didn't gloss over the unpleasant side of life. Sometimes I got a bit annoyed with Harper. She has some quirks that would have driven me completely insane if she were a real person, like her obsession with correct grammar and rules. In ways though, this was acceptable because it made Harper more realistic, even though she was annoying.The romance between Harper and Teddy was well written. I really liked how Teddy allowed Harper to grow and heal - and in ways Harper did the same for him. Ratings (Out of 10):Plot: 10Characters: 10Writing style: 10Romance: 10Originality: 10Total: 50/50 (A)I definitely recommend this book! It is a great story with great characters. Not necessarily the best book I've ever read, but definitely worth recommending to a friend!