thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Just One Wish

Just One Wish - Janette Rallison When I picked this one up I was looking for a cute, fluffy read with some possible romance. And I got it - in ways - but I feel like I got a lot more from this book as well. The plot centers around a scheme to get the actor who plays Teen Robin Hood to come visit the main character Annika's brother before he has surgery for his cancer. Jeremy, Annika's brother, is only six, so right off the bat that makes this novel a little heavier. The plot is, for various reasons, a bit far-fetched, but Rallison really surprised me: she made the scheme believeable. I could actually see Annika getting the famous Steve Raleigh to come visit her brother. I think the reason that I believed the plot was Annika's characterization. She was a really great character - full of spunk and confidence. Not that she didn't have her moments of weakness, moments that made her even more realistic and relateable.There was romantic plot line as well. I think you can imagine pretty much how it went - and, again, not very realistic. But with Annika anything seemed possible, so I believed it.Janette Rallison is an amazing storyteller. She blended heavy and light story lines together perfectly - the heavy tones were touching and the funny, romantic tones balanced well.Ratings (Out of 10):Plot: 10Characters: 10Writing style: 10Romance: 10Originality: 10Total: 50/50 (A)I'm definitely going to look for more of Janette Rallison's books. Just One Wish was a quick and satisfying read! I definitely recommend it!