thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Eyes Like Stars: Theatre Illuminata, Act I

Eyes Like Stars: Theatre Illuminata, Act I - I was first drawn to Eyes Like Stars because of the cover. My first glimpse was quite some time before the book was released, and without even reading the summary blurb, I was intrigued by the character on the front cover. Blue hair, smoky eye makeup, awesome dress: how could I not think she was awesome. Once I had read the blurb I knew I would read this book, but I didn't know just how much I would love it. Eyes Like Stars has a magical and wholly original premise. I loved seeing the characters that I loved from plays, like Ophelia from Hamlet! I have a bit of a fascination with her character, so seeing this interesting take on her personality, etc. was so fun. Also, Bertie's quest to save the theater and to find out the truth about how she came to live at the theater kept me furiously turning pages. Bertie was an amazing character. Not only is she totally unique, stylish, and smart - she's hilarious. She is definitely in my Top 10 for favorite heroines. Sometimes I like characters, but only love them as part of a couple, but I loved Bertie simply for being Bertie. But wait - I loved her as part of a couple too! Yes, this book has a love plot line too! Yup, it seems to have everything... There is actually a bit of love triangle. Can you guess from the character descriptions above which characters are involved? :) I don't want to say too much, but I'm totally Team Nate; I need a Team Nate button to go along with my Team Peeta button! All of the characters were vividly imagined, I really did fall for all of them, even the villainous ones!I can't write a review for ELS without mentioning the fairies! They are so much fun and so cute...well mostly.Ratings (Out of 10):Plot: 10Characters: 10Writing: 10Romance: 10Originality: 10Total: 50/50 (A!!)READ THIS BOOK. I had a copy from the library, but I'm definitely getting one to keep at home. Even though I just finished it and have tons of books to read right now, I kind of just want to reread ELS... :)