thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Little Black Lies

Little Black Lies - Tish Cohen I absolutely loved Little Black Lies! The main character, Sara, takes lying to a whole new level, and, while I don't think I could take it as far as she did, Tish Cohen mades it easy for me to understand Sara's actions.I really appreciate that the author incorporated OCD into the plot. OCD is one of those conditions that everyone knows about, but many people haven't experienced first hand. I could imagine how debilitating it could be for the individual with OCD, but I never really considered the impact it could have on his or her family. Reading about Sara's father having OCD and the reactions of her high school classmates really made me think about how I would react in a similar situation as a onlooker or as a family member. It was actually really emotion and a lot more serious than I'd anticipated - I came very close to crying during a couple of passages.While reading Little Black Lies, I was often frustrated with Sara. She seems to be a great girl with a lot going for her, but her low self-esteem and focus on what her peers think of her drive her to lie and do other horrible things. However, when Sara's past and her home life was revealed as I progressed through the book, I found myself sympathizing with her - even as she hurt the people that cared about her the most, and ultimately, herself. By the end of the book, I was proud of Sara's growth, she really came into her own!Of course, I must mention the romance! There is a minor romantic plot line that I really enjoyed. It wasn't a main theme by any means, but it tied in well. I felt like the romance could have been explored a bit more, as the boy has a bit of a history that would have been nice to explore more. His story ended up being a lot less dramatic than I felt was originally implied.