thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

The Dark Divine

The Dark Divine - Bree Despain THE DARK DIVINE is, without a doubt, one of my favorite YA supernatural books of 2009! I was thrilled to find that THE DARK DIVINE was not only a pretty face (or should I say cover?), it also had an amazing plot and stunning supernatural elements! As soon as I finished it, I started looking forward to the release date because I couldn’t wait to share and discuss it with other readers! In fact, I borrowed it to my sister so she could experience the awesome that is TDD. Needless to say, she loved it as well!I’m not sure why I didn’t know this, but the supernatural aspect of TDD was a bit of a surprise for me. I had a vague understanding that it had supernatural elements incorporated, but I didn’t know details. So I enjoyed trying to figure out what exactly was going on in the novel. I’m one of those readers who doesn’t refrain from reading reviews, even if they contain spoilers. I often know details about the plot before reading, but that wasn’t the case with TDD. Bree Despain kept me guessing, I wasn’t sure until quite a ways into the book what was really going on.The adored the romantic plot line of TDD! Since it was a YA novel, of course it was predictable in some ways, but I liked that Despain added some twists as well. Characters had unexpected depths, and secrets, that kept me furiously flipping pages. TDD also has incorporates a bit of suspense and mystery. As the reader learns more and more about the supernatural elements and creatures in the novel, the tension continues building in regard to how various issues will be resolved. I really didn’t know how Despain would pull it off, but the conclusion was phenomenal!Ratings (out of 10):Plot: 10Characters: 10Writing: 10Romance: 10Originality: 10Total: 50/50 (A!)THE DARK DIVINE is an amazing debut novel and I cannot wait to see what Bree Despain writes next! I’ll definitely be buying a hardcover copy of TDD and recommending it to everyone! I wouldn’t hesitate to preorder Despain’s future novels, I don’t doubt that I’ll love those books as well!