thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Magic Under Glass

Magic Under Glass  - Jaclyn Dolamore Jaclyn Dolamore's debut novel is a quick and engaging read that left me me wanting more. Not only did the slim volume end much to quickly, Dolamore's unique plot line and characters stayed with me even after I finished the last line.First off, I'm still a bit in awe of the cover art. I thought it was gorgeous when I first saw it on Jackie's website and when I saw the arc, but it was nothing compared to the bound version when I saw it in the bookstore. It definitely is eye catching!I was intrigued by the mention of an automaton as I read the plot summary for the novel. I wanted to know how Dolamore would pull off this interesting love story and how the more magical elements would play into the story.I will say that I did find the explanation of the magical elements of the plot line a bit lacking. I'm hoping that an additional installment will bring some of unexplained details to light. I liked the idea of sorcerers and fairies, but wanted to know more about them. I think may have been the epic fantasy geek in me shining through... I longed for Magic to be a few hundred more pages long with lots of detail about these magical elements.Ratings (out of 10):Plot: 8Characters: 9Writing: 10Romance: 10Originality: 10Total: 47/50 (A)Dolamore has succeeded in writing a wonderful debut novel! I will definitely be reading her next novel(s). And I am so excited to see the next book's cover!