thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

A Match Made in High School

A Match Made in High School - Kristin Walker A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL was not at all what I had expected, but it was still a really great debut novel! I feel that the summary from the back of the book fit the story pretty well, but it led me to make some assumptions that weren't at all true - which left me a little disappointed. However, the book did have a great plot line and satisfying ending - even if it wasn't what I had expected!The premise of MATCH caught my attention from the first mention I heard of the novel. I've always been fascinated by the health classes in which students have to take an electronic baby home for the week... And I admit to daydreaming about an assignment in which my crush and I would have to raise a baby together and how much fun it would be. So Walker's novel in which guys and girls are paired and "married," for the entire school year, including having a job together and attending counseling sessions togethe, I was intrigued. And kind of amazed that Walker was the first YA author to sit down and write the story! :) After all, I'd been playing out a similar story in my head all through junior high! I'm happy to report, however, that Walker's version of the story was much better than the one in my head... and had a much better lessons to impart.The aspect of MATCH that really stands out to me is the focus on stereotyping. In high school I was much like Fiona when it came to stereotyping.... and sometimes I still catch myself writing people off without getting to know them. The marriage assignment served as a great venue for Walker to focus on how often people don't get to know people, settling for just a glance at their exteriors without a second thought for their interior. The only part of the novel that I didn't really love was the romantic elements. I understood why Fiona fell for the guy she ends up with, but I really didn't see any sparks flying. They are a good match, but I could have used more of something. It just lacked passion... There was another character that I liked as Fiona's match, if only for the dialogue between the two. They really didn't make much sense as a couple, but I really enjoyed their back and forth. Ratings (Out of 10):Plot: 10Characters: 9Writing: 10Romance: 7Originality: 10Total: 46/50 (A-)A MATCH MADE IN HIGH SCHOOL is definitely worth checking out! I really liked the premise of the novel - it was something that I could relate to - and I think Walker's story shed some light on how wrong stereotypes can be and how they can limit you. Also, I feel that I must add that this book was released in paperback, which means that it is relatively cheap! So go find it at the bookstore right away!