thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Glimpse

Glimpse - Carol Lynch Williams It isn't often that I am so emotionally overwhelmed by a novel that I want to simultaneously hug it to my chest and throw it across the room. I was riveted by Hope and Lizzie's heartrending story and, even though it was difficult to read, I found that I was unable to tear my eyes from the pages. I found it hard to determine if it was the book's content or the age of the narrator that called to my protective side, but it was there in full force. Williams' depiction was so vivid that I found myself completely invested in the characters, which caused many frustrated tears. I wanted to protect Hope and Lizzie from their awful, selfish mother and prevent the tragic events that I felt were sure to unfold. I haven't read very many books written in verse, but, after GLIMPSE, I may have to. Williams' writing had a much more powerful impact written in blank verse than it would have in any other format. I'm astounded by how the deletion of superfluous words can hone text into a dangerous weapon that cuts straight to the reader's heart. GLIMPSE is left me swollen-eyed and emotionally drained, but in no way regretting my soggy state. It's often the difficult reads that leave a permanent mark, opening the reader's eyes to an issue or situation that they'd rather avoid. My eyes are officially open.