thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Alive and Well in Prague, New York

Alive and Well in Prague, New York - Daphne Benedis-Grab I liked, but didn't love Daphne Grab's debut novel. I felt that it had a lot of really good aspects, but overall it fell a bit flat.I really liked the deeper, more serious aspects of the book, like Matisse's struggle with her dad's fight against Parkinson's and her realization that the people she is meeting in the slow town of Prague, NY are truer than anything she's ever known. I felt that she did have significant growth throughout the novel. It was good that the novel was a slim volume, otherwise I don't know if it would have help my attention throughout. Much of the novel was composed of Matisse acting like a spoiled brat and I didn't have very much patience for her behavior. I know that she was a young girl, but even I knew in high school that the type of behavior she displayed was not acceptable. The most infuriating part of the novel is when she dates a boy based solely on the recommendation of his looks, though she can't stand his personality. Not cool.I also found the lead romantic counterpart to be extremely awkward. His interests seemed so random - I would have liked a bit more background about him. Ratings (Out of 10):Plot: 8Characters: 6Writing: 9Romance: 7Originality: 8Total: 38/50 (C)I probably wouldn't recommend this book. While there were some definite good aspects of the book, it simply wasn't a memorable novel. I will, however, look into any future novels Grab writes, as I feel that the book had tons of potential and her might novel could quite possibly be amazing!