thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Unearthly (Unearthly Series #1)

Unearthly (Unearthly Series #1) - UNEARTHLY, Cynthia Hand's debut novel, offers a unique take on angel mythology, a strong heroine, and a love triangle that has the potential to upset destiny.I'm a bit divided when it comes to 'angel' books. Some of them I really like... and some are almost too formulaic. Hand, however, doesn't fall into this trap. I liked that Clara was the character that has to deal with the power, secrets, and choices, rather than the human girl who falls for the dark, gorgeous, tortured supernatural being. Don't get me wrong - I like this formula if the writing and plot measure up, but it's definitely nice to see something different.When it comes to love triangles, I don't see the point unless there reader is actually going to be torn between the two candidates. By the end of the novel, I thought I'd picked a side, but Hand does her authorly duty and keeps the reader on their toes. It isn't just about personality and looks with this situation... I'm curious to see what other twists Hand will throw into the next couple novels... and if I'll stick with my choice for Clara.In this first installment, we start to explore the world of the Nephilim. What ended up being mostly background information in UNEARTHLY looks like it's going to be at the forefront of the plot for the next book. I find Clara's mother particularly intriguing. She withholds a lot of information from Clara and I'm hoping we find out more about her past in book two.All in all, UNEARTHLY is a well-written, suspenseful novel that is sure to find fans among those with a taste for supernatural romance.