thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Cryer's Cross

Cryer's Cross - Lisa McMann I adored Lisa McMann's first three novels, WAKE, FADE, and GONE, but had no idea what to expect of CRYER'S CROSS. The verse is absent, but there is still a certain cadence to the writing that identifies it as a McMann novel... It's entirely different from her first three, but no less impressive. Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of this novel is the main character's OCD and the role it plays. To my knowledge, there aren't very many YA books that deal with OCD and there definitely aren't any that handle it this particular way. Kendall's disorder is both a blessing and a curse and McMann sends this message in an entirely new, brilliant way.CRYER'S CROSS has a sinister feel, but it's not so scary that it'll keep you up at night. Instead, it's more of a slow, steady buildup to the revelations at the end of the novel... When I reached that point, all I could say was 'Wow.' For me, the novel reached it's most intense near the very end, but it wouldn't have packed the same punch if not for the slow journey to that point.I'll admit that I still favor McMann's trilogy over CRYER'S CROSS, but this novel proves that she's fully capable of doing something completely different and still blow readers away. I'll definitely be reading McMann's next novel, THE UNWANTEDS... I'm curious to see what she'll show readers next!