thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls

Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls - Mary Downing Hahn Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls started slow, but built in intensity as the novel progressed. Once I felt a connection to the different narrators and understood how they were each dealing with the murders, I had to know how everything ended up and if the murderer was ever caught.This novel started with a nightmare and, being set in the 1950s, continued on almost sleepily. The novel's intensity was driven by the characters and their internal struggles more than external action. Fans of plot-driven novels might have a difficult time with the pacing of Mister Death.I really loved the parts of the novel narrated by Nora, the one person who doesn't believe Buddy, the ex-boyfriend of one of the murdered girls, committed this horrible crime. She was so level-headed about the situation, even though it would have been way easier to pick a scapegoat and blame Buddy. After the murders, Nora begins to question her religion and the presence of God. I completely understood where Nora was coming from, but it was also easy to empathize with other characters, like her best friend, Ellie, who found herself a stronger believer afterwords. Even though it took me awhile to work my way through this novel, I'm glad I did. It was different than my normal reads and I found the character development and plot intriguing. If you're looking for a mysterious, character-driven novel, Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls is for you.