thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy

The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy - Nikki Loftin Nikki Loftin's The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy is a deliciously creepy middle grade novel. Imparting lessons about friendship, eating well, and believing in yourself, Loftin's debut is sure to find fans among young and old readers alike.I especially enjoyed the bits of The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy that were creepy and bore a strong resemblance to Roald Dahl's novels. In fact, this novel feels very much like an updated version of Dahl's novels The Witches and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Readers who like these types of novels will definitely enjoy Loftin's style as well!Lorelei is a wonderful main character; she's caring, curious, and believes in herself. I was so happy to see her befriend Andrew, a boy who isn't always so sure of himself. Not only did they make a great team, they provided a fantastic example of the benefits of looking beyond outside and initial appearances to the person within.The novel is packed with magic and mystery, making it more fantastical than realistic, but it still leaves readers with an important message about eating well and being healthy. In the real world, there (probably) isn't a witch who's trying to fatten you up so you make a better meal, but they are still definite negative consequences to bad eating habits and lack of exercise and The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy is the perfect novel to start this discussion with young readers.