thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Chantress

Chantress - Amy Butler Greenfield I'm always searching for engaging YA fantasy novels to love, so I was absolutely thrilled to find Amy Butler Greenfield's Chantress. Set in 1660s England, the novel follows Lucy, a girl that had been, until recently, marooned on a lonely island, alone except for her guardian Norrie. When Lucy disobeys Norrie's strict rule of no singing, her entire world changes as she discovers who she truly is and the responsibilities that sit squarely on her shoulders... and her shoulders alone.The magic in Chantress is accessed through song and singing. At one time, there were many chantresses, but, we soon discover Lucy is the only one left after the rest were hunted and killed, scapegoats for crimes they did not commit. Lucy, who has lived on the island for as long as she can remember, knows nothing of Chantresses, so this first novel focuses heavily on Lucy's training and education, as she's the only person that has the power to overthrow the Lord Protector who terrorizes England with his evil Shadowgrims.Though the plot of Chantress was relatively slow, I didn't find myself bored by the pacing. As a fan of adult epic fantasy, I appreciate world building, which I think Greenfield accomplished artfully. Additionally, I found this first installment to be primarily character driven and I adored the characters. Lucy may be the main character, but I enjoyed the prominence of the secondary characters. Seeing as Lucy has so much to learn and, therefore, cannot be the source of very much of the reader's information, the secondary characters are very important to the reader's understanding of the novel's setting and practices.I have to admit, the Shadowgrims and the villain weren't very scary, but this wasn't an issue for me. Lucy spends much of the novel training and interacting with various characters, but she's yet to make any big moves against the Lord Protector. I fully expect the next book to deal much more closely with the dangers and villainous actions of the Lord Protector.One of my favorite relationships in Chantress was Lucy's friendship, and budding romance, with Nat. Nat is a scientist and very bookish and is, at first, quite distrustful of Lucy and her magic. This relationship is not easy for either of the characters, but, as a reader, I loved the tension between Lucy and Nat. I definitely am excited to see what happens between these two characters in future installments. Overall, I really enjoyed this first book in the Chantress trilogy. It didn't feature very much action, but, since I was invested in the characters, I wasn't bothered. I'll be reading the next two books in the trilogy and am excited to see what Greenfield offers next.