thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Unspoken (Lynburn Legacy Series #1)

Unspoken - Sarah Rees Brennan I haven't a clue why I've never read anything by Sarah Rees Brennan before Unspoken. From the first pages I was hooked on this newest offering from Brennan, causing me to wonder just what I've been missing all this time!Kami quickly shaped up to be a fantastic main characters... and perhaps a new favorite. Right from the start it was obvious she was a funny and whip smart... and she only grew on me as the story progressed. Even though she often takes risks, I never saw Kami as irresponsible or naive. Instead, she sees what needs to be done then goes out and does it.Readers know from the description that Kami's long time "imaginary friend," that she's talked to in her head for years, turns out to be a real flesh and blood boy, but uncovering why Kami and Jared can communicate telepathically - and all the complications their bond causes - turns out to be a rather delicious treat. I seriously loved that things aren't easy for Kami and Jared, even though they've, in a way, talked and known each other for years. Having your imaginary friend end up being a real person might not be realistic, but the feelings and challenges these two characters experience ring true.Another aspect of Unspoken that I particularly enjoyed was the relationship between Kami and her best friend. Too often, I find the best friend to be either a pain in the ass or a horrible influence, but Kami has a really kickass best friend. Actually, all Kami's friends are really supportive and awesome. It is so, so nice to see a main character get the support she deserves. *happy dance*I feel that I can't go into much of a discussion of the actual plot without becoming spoilery, but I loved every twist and turn and, honestly, didn't find Unspoken to be at all predictable. The mystery is pretty neatly wrapped up by the end of the novel, but there were enough loose ends left that there's reason for a next book... which is awesome because I'm rather attached to these characters!