thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Living Dead Girl

Living Dead Girl - Elizabeth Scott I'm not sure that there are words to descrbe just how heartwrenching and horrifying Living Dead Girl is. Elizabeth Scott has written an absolutely breathtaking novel about a sickening topic, bringing light to a scenario that happens all too often and that few of us want to face.I listened to this book on audiobook while driving to a book signing. I wasn't sure it was a good idea - I had a feeling that it would make me cry and crying is, generally, not recommended for freeway driving. I didn't cry though - I think I may have been in a bit of state of shock.Living Dead Girl is written perfectly to portray the horror of the story it contains. I imagine that writing about child abductions, rape, and murder are not easy subject to write about in any circumstances - but telling the story from the point-of-view of the victim while she's the victim - you can't get much more personal or emotional than that.Scott wrote a compelling story with a believable narrator. She touched on many subjects and attempted (and, I think, succeeded) in answering many questions that I know I have thought to myself on more than one occasion... Like, why didn't she/he fight back? Why didn't she/he try to escape?This book is a bit graphic at points and I found myself needing to take a moment to pull myself together. While it is YA, I'm not sure all younger readers would be ready for this book. Not that they couldn't handle it, but they may want to prep a bit before reading... especially if they are naive about sex and rape.Ratings (Out of 10):Plot: 10Characters: 10Writing: 10Originality: 10Total: 40/40 (A)While Living Dead Girl is a quick read, it is not in any way a light read. If you are searching for a novel that will make you think and pull visciously at your heartstrings - this is it.