thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Some Girls Are

Some Girls Are - Courtney Summers Some Girls Are is just one of those books. One of those books that everyone should read. Not only because Courtney Summers is a phenomenal writer, but because Regina's story is one that anyone can relate to. Readers may not look at Regina and the bigger events in the novel and see their lives reflected, but if you look at the details, the feelings and fears of Regina and all her classmates, I'm certain you'll see a little bit of yourself. It might not be the prettiest bit, it might not even be a part of yourself you let others see, but that won't make it any less true.I loved Regina as a main character. She was so absolutely horrible. So real. So broken. If I knew her in real life, I probably would hate her. That is, when I didn't agree with her. That fact is one of the reasons I loved SGA. Most everyone has that horrible in them, even if it isn't to the extent to which Regina does. She is one of those characters that makes you think. How do my actions and words affect people? Do the people I associate with affect how others see me? Do they affect how I see me? Affect what I think is right or wrong? Affect whether I should be blamed for my actions, my choices, if done under the influence of peer pressure? Simply put: This book is intense.SGA is one of those books that is painful to read, but I couldn't put it down. I knew that Regina's situation was just going to keep getting worse, especially if she kept fighting back against the Fearsome Foursome, but I wanted her to fight. Regina and Michael's relationship was one of my favorite aspects of the novel. The fact that, from the beginning, you know that their relationship is going to be difficult, perhaps impossible. Which, of course, made me want it to work out even more. In many ways, their relationship was a type of redemption for Regina: if Michael can find a way to forgive her, can find a way to love her, perhaps there is hope for her after all. Ratings (out of 10):Plot: 10Characters: 10Writing: 10Romance: 10Originality: 10Total: 50/50 (A!)Pick up a copy of SOME GIRLS ARE today - you NEED to read this book! And Courtney, when is your next book coming out? I can't wait!