thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Jump

Jump - Elisa Carbone I picked up JUMP on a whim... I had never heard of it and had nothing more to recommend it than the description on the back and the interesting cover. After reading, I have absolutely no idea why no one is discussing this novel.I'll admit that I was a bit worried about the climbing jargon when I first started reading. I have absolutely no experience with rock climbing or rock climbing lingo, but Carbone writes with ample detail and I had no difficulty deciphering and filling in the blanks. I'm actually thankful that she did include the jargon, even though she could have told the story without, because it made the characters much more real. JUMP is told from alternating point-of-view by P.K. and the mysterious boy she runs away with, Critter. I may have questioned P.K.'s sanity a bit more if I didn't have the opportunity to see Critter's POV. After all, running away to perform a dangerous activity with a boy (named Critter!) that you've only known for a half hour (at the most) is most definitely insane. Usually, when a novel is told by two or more characters, I favor one voice over the other(s), but this wasn't the case with JUMP. I especially enjoyed Critter and P.K.'s budding romance, as the reader gets to experience it through both characters. Generally, I have no problem figuring how how a story will end, but Carbone kept me on my toes. I loved that! There are a few heart pounding passages where I honestly had no clue what was going to happen next!JUMP is rife with action, romance, and humor - the trifecta! I'm not sure how this novel slipped under my radar for so long, but I'm infinitely glad I stumbled upon it!