thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Not That Kind Of Girl

Not That Kind Of Girl - I'm not really sure why I waited so long to read one of Siobhan Vivian's novels, but, after NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL, I'll be definitely be reading the rest as soon as possible.Natalie Sterling is a typical teen with very rigid views of what's right and wrong. For the most part, her entire high school career has gone according to plan, but his year things start to fall apart. Before she knows what's happening the line between right and wrong has begun to blur and Natalie finding herself slowly venturing to the other side.I found Natalie's voice to be realistic and believable. She's one of the most judgmental MC I've come across... Some may find her to be overbearing and condescending, but that's exactly the point. I don't know how many times I've seen my peers act just like Natalie. They know what's right and wrong and they'll be the first to point out when a classmate or coworker is crossing the line, but they'll never admit when they themselves are doing the exact same thing. It's not pretty, but it's real and I appreciate that Vivian acknowledges that through Natalie's character.NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL also tackles the subject of teen sex and sexual behavior. While it was definitely present in the novel, I didn't think it was over the top, just honest. It wasn't anything more or less than what readers will see out in the real world, which is exactly what I liked about it. Through various characters, Vivian portrays different different viewpoints on the subject... I found it compelling.I'll be passing NOT THAT KIND OF GIRL along to my all sisters and friends... I think we can all learn a lesson or two from Natalie.