thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

Kiss It (Romantic Comedies)

Kiss It - Erin Downing Sometimes the greatest books come in the most unsuspecting little packages...Yes, yes, yes! I seriously couldn't put KISS IT down, even though it would have been in my best interest because I have plenty of homework and whatnot to accomplish. Chastity Bryan is a breath of fresh air.Chastity, or Chaz, is almost obsessed with the idea of sex and sexuality. To her, sex and love don't always occur in tandem, in fact, she prefers it that way. She's the type of girl that says when and she wants it now, especially when a new, hot boy moves to town and tempts her in all kinds of ways.Okay, but wait! I know some of you out there are thinking this might just be a bit too much for me... This Chaz girl is more sexual than I like my main characters. I like them sweet and innocent and ignorant with their sexuality. Well, I admit, this might not be the book for you, BUT, if you can handle this side of Chaz, I can promise you that there is much more to her character. And, yes, there's teen sex in this book, but there's a point to it and I believe it's well done. This book sends a message to readers that's definitely worth hearing. One of my favorite aspects of this book is the fact that Chaz isn't perceived as loose or lacking morality. She keeps her sexual endeavors well under wraps... and Chaz is a lot more talk than actual action. She's smart, funny, sarcastic, and strong - that's what I appreciate in a main character, regardless of how raunchy some of her comments may be. But, even if her classmates knew of her preoccupation with sex and judged her for it, I had the distinct feeling that Downing wouldn't be encouraging the reader to do the same. Even though Chaz has a few things backwards and doesn't always make the wisest decisions, she's real and she sticks to her guns. Sexuality and a healthy dose of curiosity are normal and they shouldn't be condemned.Erin Downing's KISS IT is a quick read, due to the fact that it's less than 300 pages and it's difficult to put down. I've got my fingers crossed that she's got more novels like this up her sleeve! Her previous two novels are part of the Simon Pulse romantic comedies, which are wonderful, but this novel puts Downing on a whole different level.