thehidingspot

The Hiding Spot

The Night Circus

The Night Circus - I honestly have no idea how to start this review... I'm still a bit in awe of The Night Circus. Morgenstern's debut is one that I picked up based solely on recommendations and reviews, as I'd never heard of it before blog posts and blurbs started popping up. I'm really not sure I even read the description prior to deciding to buy it. Still, it sat gathering dust on my bookshelf for about six months before I found the time to sit down and read it... and immediately begin silently berating myself for letting it sit unread for so long!I was 30 pages in when I realized just how amazingly well-written and fantastical The Night Circus was going to be. I think I knew, even early on, that this novel would become one of my all-time favorites. It's been quite awhile since there has been a story that comes close to rivaling my long time favorite, Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, but The Night Circus came close to causing an upset. Both novels feature a plot that slowly builds in intensity, a gorgeous love story, and wonderful secondary characters. I think it's the secondary characters that have the biggest impact on my opinion of these novels. Comparably, it isn't that difficult to write a lovable main character or romantic interest, but it takes skill to write a troupe of three-dimensional characters, each with their own unforgettable traits.I've always found the circus to be a rather magical place and this idea has only been reinforced by The Night Circus. I really can't even express how much I adored Morgenstern's descriptions of the various circus tents... I wanted to lose myself in those descriptions forever. It was almost like the Harry Potter effect, in which the reader finds herself wishing and wishing that her own letter would arrive inviting her to study at the infamous Hogwarts and she'd promptly be whisked away to a castle with moving staircases and secret passages. If this magial place was real, I think I'd run away to join the circus.I truly don't have words to describe how deeply moved I was by The Night Circus and how very highly I recommend it. Read this book... you won't regret it!